Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 8 April 2010

Making myself useful


I spent a couple of hours yesterday evening doing the pretty mind-numbing task of putting leaflets in envelopes for the Reaffirmation and Renewal Appeal of the Oxford Oratory. Yet I was in no way reluctant to do so, and ended up with the quiet feeling of a little job well-done - well-done in that it is in aid of a very good cause indeed and one that I recommend to anyone interested. That, of course, is why I am telling you what I was doing - it is an excuse to let you know about the Oratory Appeal.You can find out more by looking on the website of the Oxford Oratory and following the links there.

The Oratory has been a remarkable success since its inception twenty years ago, and the appeal aims to enable it to maintain and extend its work here in Oxford. Alongside the public, liturgical, life of St Aloysius there is a lively parish with schools and a network of Oratory based groups. There is an extensive ministry of spiritual guidance and the frequent availability of Confession and, by no means least, it has been a significant place for the reception into full peace and communion of many individuals.

No comments: