Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 9 April 2010

Read, mark, learn and inwardly digest

For those of you who have not read them there have been some characteristically forthright, trenchant and insightful comments posted by the splendid Fr Ray Blake on his blog from St Mary Magdalen Brighton - in particular I would urge you to to read two of his posts. The more recent are his comments, and the attached articles, about the Pope and Fr Maciel the founder of the Legionaries of Christ , which shows how the Pope is now, as he was before his election, determined to deal with abuse, of all kinds, within the Church.

I would also highly recommend Fr Blake's reflection on Good Friday which has an impact that will give you something to reflect upon long after Easter.
In one sense it is political Christianity, in the proper sense, that is that it raises the question as to how we, as the Body of Christ and as the Church, make choices about our own lives, about the life of the Church and of the society within which we live. So not just an Easter reflection, but also an Election one.

No comments: