Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 31 May 2010

Newman's Oxford


The Oxford Oratory has just published a new, extended, edition of Fr Jerome Bertram's Newman's Oxford.

Details are available here.

It is an excellent guide to the city Newman lived in from 1817 until 1846, and a way of both learning about Newman and marking his beatification, and of contributing towards the Oratory 'Reaffirmation and Renewal Appeal'.

No comments: