Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 24 May 2010

Signing up to the Society of St Tarcisius


I have now signed up to the new Society of St Tarcisius which I mentioned the other day. I understand there has already been a good response not only from this country but also from further afield. It is good to know that friends from here in Oxford and Brighton have been amongst the first to show support for this initiative, and in the latter case to have already formed a local branch.

I very much hope that it draws in a lively and serious membership of those keen to promote celebration in the Extraordinary Form and who are also keen to develop their practical skills as servers alongside their own spiritual growth and understanding. Anyone who is interested is warmly encouraged to contact the Secretary.

The Society has both a website,
Society of St Tarcisius and a blog, Society of St Tarcisius blog. For future reference both are listed on the side bar.

No comments: