Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 8 July 2010

The Pope on Duns Scotus

In his general audience yesterday the Pope spoke about Bl. John Duns Scotus, who was, of course, one of the outstanding products of late thirteenth century Oxford and the Franciscan school here. The Pope's speech can be found here.








Modern monument to Duns Scotus in St Mary's church in the High here in Oxford. Photo from Catholic Oxford

No comments: