Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 24 August 2010

Bartlemas Chapel

Today being the feast of St Bartholomew seems a good day on which to post this picture of the Chapel dedicated to him at Bartlemas here in Oxford. It is one of the oldest possessions of Oriel, being acquired by our original founder Adam de Brome.

Photograph courtesy of Philip Wilkinson's English Buildings blog


How Adam de Brome obtained it can be read in this article from Wikipedia, together with a history of the hospital and site. There is more about it and other pictures in this article from the parish of St Mary and St John, Cowley Road who have cared for it since 1913.

I have always regretted that Oriel does not make more of the historic link with Bartlemas, which is otherwise just viewed as the college sports ground. Too often it seemed to be treated as an asset to be realised rather than treasured.


No comments: