Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 11 August 2010

Cardinal Newman 120 years on


Today is the 120th anniversary of the death of Cardinal Newman. As his beatification approaches this seems a suitable day to reproduce the proposed Propers to commemorate him. A couple of months ago the
New Liturgical Movement published these, with the following proviso:
[A correction to the text has been sent in to the NLM. As well, the date has not yet been confirmed.]


The Propers for the Divine Office for the Feast of the soon to be Blessed John Henry Newman have been published. You can find the texts at this link.

The collect will be:

Deus, qui beátum Ioánnem Henrícum, presbýterum, lumen benígnum tuum sequéntem pacem in Ecclésiatua inveníre contulísti,concéde propítius, ut, eius intercessióne et exémplo, ex umbris et imagínibus in plenitúdinem veritátis tuae perducámur. Per Dominum.

O God, who bestowed on the Priest Blessed John Henry Newman the grace to follow your kindly light and find peace in your Church; graciously grant that, through his intercession and example, we may be led out of shadows and images into the fulness of your truth. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

Fr Hunwicke, as both cleric and former schoolmaster, gives his review here of the latinity involved.


Here are two images of the Cardinal lying-in-state in August 1890.

undefined
Cardinal Newman lying-in-state in the Oratory Church, Edgbaston, prior to his Funeral Mass on Tuesday 19 August 1890.
Reproduced from Times Online October 1, 2008










Reproduced from Valle Adurni



2 comments:

Stephanie A. Mann said...

I like how the opening prayer for Mass on his feast includes the references to the Kindly Light and Newman's motto on his grave stone in Rednal. I linked this story on my blog--thank you!
I have wondered about the date of his feast/memorial too; I presume the Church could use the date of his burial or the transfer of his (very few) relics to Birmingham?

Once I Was A Clever Boy said...

I gather the proposed day is October 9th - the date of his reception into the "one true fold of the Redeemer" in 1845.