Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 5 August 2010

"Newman's Oxford" Exhibition

From the website of the Oxford Oratory:

Over the weekend of 14th-15th August we shall be exhibiting many things connected with John Henry Newman our Cardinal, in the Guild Room and the Parish Centre. The exhibition will be open on the Saturday from 10:30 to 5:50, on the Sunday 12:30 to 5:15; there will be a catalogue available at £1.00, but no admission charge (though if you really insist...)



On show will be the portrait by A.R. Venables, and the bust by Richard Westmacott, very rarely seen, some autographs including “Lead, kindly light”, many prints and engravings, including all those used for the new edition of Newman’s Oxford, and some real oddities. There will probably be tea available as well.



No comments: