Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 6 August 2010

Plain speaking from Ancient Richborough

There is a typically lucid and forceful reply from Ancient Richborough on his blog to the statement from fifteen Anglican bishops who see themselves as being in the Catholic tradition of the Church of England in the wake of the General Synod meeting. It can be read here.

He makes the issues clear, and states a confidant case for realising that, in a well known phrase, "It's all up." I hope and pray that his wisdom will be appreciated and followed by those directly affected.

No comments: