Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 17 August 2010

Vestment and brass rubbings exhibition in Oxford

Over the forthcoming Bank Holiday weekend the Oxford Ortory will be holding another exhibition, this time featuring vestments from the collection, ranging in date from the seventeenth to the twentieth centuries, and also brass rubbings of vestments from an earlier age.

The exhibition will be open on Saturday August 28th 10.30- 5.30, on Sunday August 29th 12.30- 5.30, and on Monday August 30th 10.30-5.30. Admission is free, and there will be a catalogue on sale at a modest price.

Both parts of the exhibition promise to be well worth visiting if you are in or near Oxford that weekend.

No comments: