Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 2 November 2010

Christians in the Middle East

The latest atrocity affecting the Christian community in Baghdad is a further reminder of the precarious position of Christians in the Middle East - something I posted about last Saturday.

There are some trenchant comments from Fr Hunwicke here about Western attitudes to the situation. There is also sorrowful and prayerful counsel from Fr Blake here.

The need to maintain awareness of our fellow Christians in the homeland of the faith in the face of relative disinterest is important. So is practical aid and the need to pray for people and places, Churches and Christians. I feel I ought to be doing something about the situation, and those are all ways, but somehow I feelmore should be done. That is not to discount the power of prayer, but its very invisibility makes it so often appear not to yield results.

In temporal terms I suppose I'm saying "Someone ought to do something." But who, and what?

No comments: