Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 16 January 2011

Bl. Joseph Vaz tercentenary


Blessed Joseph Vaz

Today is the tercentenary of the death of Bl. Joseph Vaz, the Goan Oratorian known as the apostle of Ceylon/Sri Lanka. His ministry in the island was not unlike that of mission priests in sixteenth and seventeenth century England. He was beatified in 1995.

There is an article about him on the Oxford Oratory website what can be read here, and there is Wikipedia article about him here. CTS have a good booklet about his life and ministry.

There is a website about his life and cause for canonization, which can be read here.


No comments: