Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 17 March 2011

Ordinariate


As the Personal Ordinariate of our Lady of Walsingham begins to take shape in reality with the preparations for the reception of individuals at Easter we have a further sign of Papal approbation with the appointments of the first three of its priests as Monsignori as reported in this Catholic Herald article

Fr Blake has an excellent riposte to a liberal catholic sceptic about the Ordinariate which can be read here. Dr William Oddie has a blog post on his Catholic Herald site about the way in which already the Catholic Church has taken on the Anglican patrimony by using translations of ancient hymns by John Mason Neale, and sees that as an example of how mutual enrichment can work. It can be read here.

All in all, things are looking good on the Ordinariate front.

No comments: