Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 8 March 2011

Reflections on the Ordinariate


As Ash Wednesday approaches and those Anglicans who plan to be received into the Ordinariate at Easter prepare to take those first crucial steps I would assure them of my prayers and support.

My good friend the Last Knight has an excellent reflection on the situation facing Anglo-Catholics on his blog The Noise of the Crusade. He draws together theology and practical politics to review the situation, and his post, which I would recommend, can be read here

Another former Anglican who blogs as
When the Patriarch was returning has a piece he posted back in January about the nature of Anglican patrimony which can be read here. I think I would largely concur with his reflections as to the beauty of that strand of Anglican liturgy. 

Fr Hunwicke's Liturgical Notes has a restrained but eloquent post about the events on Quinquagesima Sunday at St Thomas church here in Oxford which you can read here. As I commented on Fr Hunwicke's blog may St Thomas intercede for them at this time. 

No comments: