Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 6 May 2011

The Quality of Mercy


Fr Tim has a post about a play presented at the Oxford Catholic Chaplaincy last week. This was designed to celebrate the beatification of Pope John Paul II by reflecting on the impact of his teaching on a group of teenage pilgrims at the time of his death. Despite the venue this was very much an Oxford Oratory event in terms of authorship, direction and performance.

I went to the first performance, and beyond the interest of seeing some of one's friends acting, found that the play contained considerable food for thought. It required quite complex staging and managed to convey a sense of space and location with a minimal setting and props. The young actors who carried the burden of the play gave good performances, and conveyed the uncertainties, the highs and lows of teenage years, with assurance.

You can read Fr Tim' s post at First performances of "The Quality of Mercy".

No comments: