Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 29 January 2012

A thought for the times


Last Friday was the feast day of St Angela Merici (1474-1540) the founder of the Ursulines.

http://cacina.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/angela-merici.jpg

St Angela Merici

Image: cacina.wordpress

"The disorders of society are caused by those in families. There are few Christian mothers, because the education of young girls is neglected"

St Angela Merici 1474-1540

As the writer of Ecclesiasticus observed - there is nothing new under the sun.

However much we may be tempted to blame social developments we do n't like on changes of attitude within the last generation or so, St Angela's comment is a reminder of the generally fallen state of mankind - in each and every generation we need to rediscover and actuate the Christian message.

No comments: