Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 24 March 2012

Oxford Ordinariate Passiontide Service - March 31st


http://www.lostseed.com/extras/free-graphics/images/jesus-pictures/jesus-crucified.jpg

Image: lostseed.com

Next Saturday, March 31st, the Oxford Ordinariate Group will hold a Passiontide devotion at Holy Rood church in Abingdon Road in preparation for Holy Week. As they are having Mass for Palm Sunday at 9 am the following day, they are holding this at the time they usually have the Saturday Vigil Mass.

The Newman Consort, under its new director, Paul Kolb, will singing items of music for Passiontide. There will also be hymns and readings. The format is described as being very similar to the Nine Lessons and Carols or, indeed, the Passiontide Oratory at St Aloysius on Wednesday.

No comments: