Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 13 March 2012

The recent Ember Saturday Mass in Oxford


Unfortunately I was not able to attend, or indeed, serve the recent Ember Saturday Mass here in Oxford at the church of St Antony of Padua in Headington, but Dr Joseph Shaw, the LMS Chairman, has a good report on the day and the specific liturgy of the day, together with a fine set of photographs, on his blog LMS Chairman and it can all be seen at Ember Saturday Mass at St Anthony's.

I have selected one of his photographs which illustrates the spaciousness of the church. Despite its rather angular design St Antony's serves as a fine setting for the usus antiquior as it provides plenty of space for the participants in the sanctuary and there is nothing to draw the eye away from the action at and around the altar. It is therefore a good place for worshippers to experience the way the traditional form of Mass works.

IMG_8945


1 comment:

Joseph Shaw said...

Yes. Though I can't say I care for the style it does give you plenty of space, and the accoustics are excellent. A Pugin-esque church of a similar size would no doubt be more cramped for Solemn Mass, even if not re-ordered. (Although I suppose the real problem is altar rails, which St Anthony's used to have...)