Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 21 June 2012

St Aloysius Gonzaga


Today is the feast of St Aloysius Gonzaga, the Jesuit patron of the church of the Oxford Oratory.

http://catholicismpure.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/459px-nuvolonegonzaga2.jpg

St Aloysius Gonzaga

Image: Catholicism Pure and Simple blogspot

At the Solemn Mass this evening Fr Michael Holman S.J., Principal of Heythrop College preached. His theme was the continuing witness of what St Aloysius himself bore witness to in his brief life, and his compelling attraction as a model for life and fidelity to vocation.

My illustrated post from last year about St Aloysius can be read at St Aloysius Gonzaga.


No comments: