Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 28 September 2012

Ordination in Norway tomorrow


Please pray for my good friend Martin Stamnestro who is to be ordained as a priest in his native Norway tomorrow. The ordination is in St Olav's cathedral in Oslo, and Martin will subsequently exercise his ministry in the university city of Aalesund, in western Norway.

I got to know Martin over a decade ago when he came to Pusey House as a D.Phil. student - his doctorate is on liturgical developments in the century preceding Vatican II. Brought up as a Norwegian Lutheran he had become an Anglo-Catholic and then in 2006 was received at the Brompton Ortaory as a Catholic.
I had hoped to attend his ordination, but that has not proved practicable, so I have sent him my prayers and good wishes and ask readers to join me in that.

No comments: