Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 29 September 2012

St Michael the Archangel


Today is Michaelmas day, the feast of St Michael the Archangel.

Last year in St Michael the Archangel I posted about some images of him, and again last May in The apparition of St Michael the Archangel on the feast day commemorating his apparition at Monte Gargano.

There are informative online articles about his cult here with illustrations and links and. from the Catholic Encyclopedia, and also with links, here.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9d/Altarpiece_of_St_Michael_WGA.jpg

Altarpiece of St Michael
Gerard David c.1460-1523

Image:Wikipedia

No comments: