Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 8 October 2012

The Harry Crown reconstructed


I saw on the internet today that a reconstruction has been made and will go on show at Hampton Court the end of the month of the crown known to have been worn by King Henry VIII and his successors. The original was destroyed in 1649 by the Commonwealth. The article can be read at Henry VIII's "crowne of golde" to go on show in UK.

Looking further I found a much more detailed and informative article in the Guardian (intriguing in itself) about it which has more details and a video of the crown - all of which can be seen here.


Henry's Crown at Hampton Court Palace 
The reconstructed Harry Crown
Image: Historic Royal Palaces - Hampton Court


This looks very interesting, but I wonder if the original crown, described in a 1521 inventory was not rather earlier in date than the article implies, and that the "Harry Crown" as it was also known dated from the time of King Henry V rather than King Henry VII as the Guardian article suggests. I will keep my powder dry on this one for a while, but will return to the topic.

I was interested to see that an Oriel friend, Kent Rawlinson, had a part in researching the inventories that have descriptions of the original crown.

I really must go and see this when I can - it is very many years since I visited Hampton Court, and this is an incentive.


No comments: