Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 27 January 2014

Costly fabrics


Those of you who read my post last week about the sale of here in Oxford of some medieval vestments reworked to form two altar frontals in Medieval textiles for auction in Oxford may be interested to learn that the first one, made from anumber of vestments of thirteenth to fifteenth century date, sold for £10,500, and the second, made from what was once a handsome blue cope embroidered in silver and belonging, by all reasonable hypotheses, to Cardinal Morton(d.1500) sold for £40,000.



No comments: