Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 2 July 2014

The King and Queen of Spain visit the Pope


Following on from the point I made at the beginning of my post  Spanish Monarchy - theories, symbols and ceremonies that the Royal family have been continuing and concious supporters of the Catholic Church I now see in various newspapers reports of the visit paid by King Felipe and Queen Letizia to the Pope at the Vatican on Monday. This was their first visit abroad since the King's accession and it must have significance that it was to the Holy See, before visting the neighbouring countries of France, Portugal and Morocco in coming months.


Pope Francis looks up at Spain's King Felipe VI, as Queen Letizia looks on, at a meeting at the pontiff's library in the Apostolic Palace in the Vatican City

The King and Queen of Spain with the Pope

Image:Daily Mail

The Daily Mail report is, as usual for the paper, well illustrated and can be viewed at Pope Francis hints he will visit Spain soon after meeting King Felipe,and there are are pictures of the visit in King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia of Spain visit the Pope in first overseas engagement from the magazine Hello.
This may have been a formality as a visit, but that does not detract from what it expresses about the relationship of Spain and its monarchy to the Church, and of the Church to Spain and the crown.





No comments: