Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 12 August 2014

A curious sight


I was somewhat surprised the other day to see on the notice board of an avowedly Catholic institution in Oxford a handbill advertising an event in September here in the city which is designed to celebrate the local men who went to fight for the International Brigade in the Spanish Civil War and to raise funds for a memorial to them.

The poster promised various performances including La Pasionaria's farewell to the International Brigade on November 1st 1938, and concluding with the Internationale.

Now I see that some may wish to celebrate the misguided and deluded men who fought for the odious Spanish Second Republic, but one really does not expect to see such an event advertised in a Catholic institution.

What is the encore for the evening - burning down a few churches....?


No comments: