Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 24 April 2015

The Queen and the Order of Australia


Both the Special Correspondent and the BBC News website had picked up the story of H.M. The Queen investing Prince Philip with his Knighthood of the Order of Australia the other day. The illustrated BBC report can be seen at Queen presents Prince Philip with Australian knighthood.

This - typically one might add - efers to the controversy the appointment raised in Australia. I cannot see why such an award should do so - it is, after all, the norm for the Monarch or head of state and their family to hold or be awarded national honours. I wonder if the furore has more to do not only with the rather languishing (as I understand it) Australian republican tradition but also with political rivalries and kealousies arounf Tony Abbott who as Australian Prime minister make no secret of his strong support for the monarchy.


The insignia of a Knight of the Order of Australia
 
Images:twitter.com/British Monarchy/ & Press Association







No comments: