Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 14 May 2015

Ascension Day


Today is the Ascension of Our Lord.


The Ascension of Christ

Andrea Mantegna, 1460-64

Image: New Liturgical Movement

I shall observe the Solemnity liturgically at a High Mass in the Extrordinary Form at the Oxford Oratory this eveving at 6pm. Like, I think, virtually all my friends I wish to observe the Ascension on Ascension Day, not transfer it three days hence. Other Christians in this country keep the feast today- it makes sense to do so as Catholics with them and in communion with past centuries.


1 comment:

Long-Skirts said...

...AND THE PURSUIT

Ascension Thursday's Sunday
Corpus Christi got the boot
And this year since it's Saturday
All Saints' Day will be moot.

'Cause Saturday's by Sunday
And Monday just won't scoot
And two days in a row for God
That's yielding too much fruit.

So if we play our cards right
Let money trump all suits,
We'll end all militant Sundays
Obliging happy pursuits.