Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 27 July 2015

More July Martyrs

Stephanie Mann's blog Supremacy and Survival: The English Reformation  has recently had a series of posts on martyred priests and laymen - some of them convert Anglican clergy - from the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century whose commemorations fall at this time of year. Her posts can be read at

YET Another Martyrdom in July: Blessed George Swallowell, Layman

Another Martyr in July: Blessed John Ingram

More Martyrs in July: Blessed Edward Thwing and Blessed Robert Nutter

Another Martyr in July: Blessed William Ward (William Webster)

Another Late July Martyr: Blessed Robert Sutton (and His Brother)

Not only are these stories of courageous men but they also contain insights into life not only in the recusant community but that of the country at the time.

 

No comments: