Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 25 June 2015

The Wittelsbachs and the Second World War


The Special Correspondent has been looking at a Jacobite website and found this very interesting account of the Wittelsbachs' experience of the Second World War which can be read athttp://www.jacobite.ca/essays/ww2.htm

This is in a number of ways very similar to the experience of the Habsburgs in the same period and which was discussed in a recent post by the Mad Monarchist.

Whether you regard the dynasty as merely the Bavarian Royal Family or as the "other" or even "true" British Royal Family is irrelevant to the interest of the post.


No comments: