Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 8 August 2015

English Iconoclasm revisited


Last year I posted a series of nine pieces under the title English Iconoclasm. these followed on from a lecture I gave to a summer school here in Oxford organised by Second Spring. this year they asked me to give the talk again. This was with a new title, suggested by the organisers, of  " A Shattered Culture: The Impact of the Reformation in England" and, with revisions to the text and a set of illustrations put together online with the technical assistance of a friend, I did so. I am now reposting the links to the posts from last year, which cover some, but not all, of the themes and examples I spoke about. This is inituially for the use of the US students on the course, but may also be, indeed I hope will be, of interest to other readers.


English Iconoclasm I

English Iconoclasm II - the fate of the cult of St George

English Iconoclasm III - An eyewitness account

English Iconoclasm IV

English Iconoclasm V

English Iconoclasm VI

English Iconoclasm VII

English Iconoclasm VIII

English Iconoclasm IX

I am also adding another post from the sme time last year with the same tag

St Modwen and Burton on Trent Abbey

and the following posts from previous years which apply to other places I spoke about:

Disaster at Hereford

Vandalism at Salisbury Cathedral

St Augustine's Abbey Canterbury

 More on St Augustine's Abbey Canterbury

 St John the Baptist Chester

and, from Wikipedia, articles about Reculver at 

St Mary's Church, Reculver  and Reculver





1 comment:

Patricius said...

A fascinating subject ! Alas, I find myself excluded.