Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 31 October 2015

Hell Hounds


The BBC News website, no doubt with Halloween in mind, has a report under the title of  The terrifying story of the 'hell hound, and saying that tales of ferocious dogs have been the stuff of myth for centuries, but how have accounts of these mythical beasts spread so far and wide?

The answer is, apparently to be found at their report, which can be seen at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34369461

Now is it a shaggy dog story? Woof or grrrrr.....?


No comments: