Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 26 February 2016

Novena for the canonization of Bl.Dominic Barberi


Today I have started the Novena requested by Archbishop Longley of Birmingham for the canonization of Bl. Dominic Barberi. Bl Dominic is most famous for his reception into the Church of Bl. John Henry Newman in 1845, but that was but one part of a remarkable ministry.

The Archbishop has designated Bl.Dominic as one of the patrons of the Year of Mercy in the Archdiocese and will celebrate Mass for the intention of the canonization at SS John and Paul, the Passionist church in Rome, on Saturday March 5th. 

There is more about it, and also about a relic of Bl Dominic in the form of a letter, on the website of the Oxford Ortaory and which can be seen at Novena for the Canonization of Blessed Dominic Barberi


No comments: