Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 18 March 2016

Brazil and its little local difficulties


From following the news in the papers and internet I gather that in Brazil they are having problems with, and indeed, for, the President and ex-President.

Well now, regular readers will know what I am going to write, but the good people of Brazil really should know what they ought to do - undo the disaster of 1889 and restore the Imperial monarchy.

Mind you the dynasty needs to sort out who is the definitive claimant to the throne these days, but is that any worse than the current threats of impeachment, continuing and proliferating allegations of corruption and fraud, and the abuse of office to protect political allies?

Long live the Emperor!

 


The Imperial Arms of Brazil

Image:Wikimedia

No comments: