Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 8 August 2016

The sound of medieval Cluny and Santiago



The excellent Danish based Medieval Histories site has an interesting piece about liturgical music at Cluny and at the Cluniac influenced cathedral and shrine at Santiago de Compostela which can be accessed at the following two links:

Cluny Maior ecclesia

The Sound of the Maior Ecclesia of Cluny

In 2010 a group of digital wizards recreated the Maior Ecclesia of Cluny. Now, another team has worked to reconstruct the soundscape.
Codex Calixtinus -detail

Medieval Soundscape in Santiago de Compostela

Can you recreate the medieval soundscape of cathedrals? An ingenious reconstruction of the acoustics in the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela shows the way   Read more.

No comments: